Attract Dragonflies and Damselflies to Your Own Backyard
Creating Backyard Ponds: How to Get Started
In the Backyard Pond Habitat Guide you will find:
- Information on the ecological importance of dragonflies and damselflies;
- Natural history of dragonflies and damselflies;
- Information on the benefits of ponds to dragonflies and damselflies, and other wildlife;
- Steps to create pond habitat in your own backyard to attract dragonflies and damselflies;
- Pond maintenance suggestions to keep the wildlife you attract happy and healthy!
Key Aspects of Pond Creation
- Designate a minimum viable area of 43 ft² (smaller may also be feasible)
- Consider sinuous, natural-appearing outlines
- Provide habitat with a variety of water depths
- CALL BEFORE YOU DIG. Call local utilities to avoid buried lines
- Deepest depth to consider (2.5–6.5 ft [0.8–2 m]) will depend on pond size and should avoid freezing in deeper parts in winter
- Use a pond liner in well-drained soils
- Install a diversity of plant species and a variety of vegetation types (submerged, floating, emergent, plus shrubs and other upland plants)
Dragonflies and Damselflies Have Four Basic Needs
Vegetation is Key!
- Biggs, K. 2012. Build a Pond for Wildlife. Azalea Creek Publishing, 32 pp. E-book available at http://www.amazon.com/Build-Pond-Wildlife-ebook/dp/B007YCCHHQ/.
- Biggs, K. 2013. Welcome to the Biggs’ Wildlife Pond. Blog at http://bigsnestpond.net/.
- British Dragonfly Society. 2010. Dig a Pond for Dragonflies. British Dragonfly Society, Dragonfly Conservation Group, 14 pp. Available at http://tinyurl.com/k97fzmp.
- Natural Resource Conservation Service. 2007. Backyard conservation: bringing conservation from the countryside to your backyard. NRCS Publication PA-1621, USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service, National Association of Conservation Districts, Wildlife Habitat Council, and National Audubon Society. 28 pp. Available at http://tinyurl.com/kl8u53t.
- National Wildlife Federation. Backyard ponds. Gardening Tip Sheet, 2 pp. Available at http://tinyurl.com/mz9pdwt.