Here at Xerces, we are addressing issues like climate change, widespread loss of biodiversity, and the potential extinction of some incredible invertebrates. We work to protect the little things that run the world through research, advocacy, habitat restoration, and more. This essential work is donor-supported.
By hosting a fundraiser for the Xerces Society, you'll be helping wildlife. Fundraisers are a great way to celebrate birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, housewarmings, graduations, retirements, holidays, and more. Holidays like Giving Tuesday or Earth Day are especially appropriate for Xerces fundraisers. You can also celebrate a particular loved one by dedicating a fundraiser in their honor. Or, you can raise funds with no special occasion attached!
There are three online platforms that you can use to facilitate a Xerces fundraiser and support our mission.
Xerces Peer-to-Peer Fundraisers
Peer-to-peer fundraising is when an individual collects donations from their peers. Xerces administers a peer-to-peer fundraising platform that you can easily use to create a personalized fundraiser. All you have to do is provide some basic details to create an account, customize your personal fundraising page, and launch your fundraiser. You can distribute emails and share to social media right from the online platform, or you can share your fundraiser URL wherever you choose. Your fundraising dashboard will track your progress, and the money you raise will go directly to Xerces.
Just in case you need help, you can contact Xerces at 503-468-6602 or [email protected] with any questions. We are here to support you along the way!
Facebook users can also fundraise for the Xerces Society on Facebook. Get started in the “Fundraisers” section of the platform. Once you choose the Xerces Society as the nonprofit you wish to support, set a goal, and customize a few details, you can invite friends to donate to your fundraiser directly or you can share the fundraiser in posts.
On Instagram, you can add a fundraiser to your profile and your posts. When adding posts, reels, and even live content, there is an option to add a fundraiser to your content. Select the Xerces Society as the nonprofit you wish to support. Your followers will be able to donate to your fundraiser right from the posts on which you include it, or from your profile.
Tips for Success on Any Platform
Here are a few simple strategies for hosting a successful online fundraiser:
- Provide a basic explanation of the Xerces Society for anyone who might be unfamiliar.
- Explain why you personally care about Xerces and invertebrates. Focus on something you are excited about and that excitement will spread.
- Be the first to donate to your fundraiser. Even a few dollars show that you, too, are invested in the cause and can generate momentum toward your goal.
- Keep your fundraiser short and sweet. We suggest no more than three weeks.
- Remind and update your network about the fundraiser. Share a few different appeals and send updates when certain milestones are achieved toward your goal.
- Livestreaming or talking in-person can be more engaging than static posts or emails.
- Get creative! Make your fundraiser fun and unique.
- Find a way to thank everyone who participates in your fundraiser.
Speaking of giving thanks, thank you for considering hosting a fundraiser for the Xerces Society. We really couldn’t be successful in our work without all of the volunteers and donors that make it possible. Thanks for being on our team!