We are facing big issues like climate change, widespread loss of biodiversity, and the potential extinction of some incredible invertebrates. These topics can feel overwhelming.
Here at Xerces, we are addressing these issues head-on through research, advocacy, and conservation. Little by little, we have now protected and restored more than 3.5 million acres of high-quality habitat for insects and other invertebrates. This essential work is donor-supported.
Everyone can create change. One thing that you can do to help wildlife is to raise funds for the Xerces Society. While you can raise funds any time, pairing your fundraiser with a special occasion can help your campaign gain traction. There are many possibilities — birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, housewarmings, graduations, retirements, holidays, and more. Relevant holidays like Giving Tuesday or Earth Day are especially appropriate for Xerces fundraisers. You can also celebrate a particular loved one by dedicating a fundraiser in their honor.
There are three online platforms that you can use to facilitate a Xerces fundraiser and support our mission. Use whichever tool works best for your situation. Whichever one you chose, it's so easy to host a fundraiser, and your efforts will make an impact!
Xerces Peer-to-Peer Fundraisers
Peer-to-peer fundraising is when an individual raises donations from their peers. Xerces administers a robust, custom peer-to-peer fundraising platform for anyone wanting to host an online fundraiser to support the Xerces Society.
A personalized fundraiser is easy to set up. You’ll provide some basic details to create an account, set a goal dollar amount, and have the optional opportunity to kick off the fundraiser with a donation yourself. From there you’ll be able to customize your personal fundraising page, distribute emails for support, and share on social media, all from within the online platform. You get a unique URL for your fundraiser so you can share it through any other external channel you want to use, like texting or even printed flyers. You will be able to watch your progress toward your goal from your fundraising dashboard, and the money you raise will go directly and automatically to Xerces.
This method of fundraising is easy, but just in case you need help, you can contact Xerces at 503-468-6602 or [email protected] with any questions. We are here to support you along the way!
Facebook users can also fundraise for the Xerces Society on Facebook. It is easy to get started in the “Fundraisers” section of the platform. Choose “Xerces Society Inc” as the nonprofit you wish to support, set a goal, and customize a few details. Once your Facebook fundraiser is created, you can invite friends to donate directly or share the fundraiser in your feed in posts.
If you have an Instagram account, you can add a fundraiser to your profile and connect that fundraiser to the posts and reels that you share. Your followers will be able to donate to your fundraiser right from the posts that you share about it, or from your profile. When adding a fundraiser to your profile or posts, search for and select “Xerces Society Inc” as the nonprofit you wish to support.
Tips for Success on Any Platform
There are a few simple strategies for hosting a successful online fundraiser that we’d like to share.
- Provide a basic explanation of the Xerces Society to your friends and family upfront to ensure that they have enough information to decide that it is a cause worth donating to.
- Explain why you care about Xerces and invertebrates. Make it personal. Your circle of friends take interest in you and your life. Focus on something you are excited about and that excitement will spread.
- Be the first to donate to your fundraiser. Even a few dollars show that you, too, are invested in the cause and can generate momentum toward your goal.
- Keep your fundraiser short and sweet. We suggest no more than 3 weeks.
- Remind and update your potential participants about the fundraiser. We all forget to follow through sometimes. Share a few different appeals and send updates when certain milestones are achieved toward your goal.
- Livestreaming or talking in-person can be more engaging than static posts or emails. Try making a personal connection along with your ask.
- Get creative! Make your fundraiser fun and unique. We’re looking forward to seeing the innovative ideas you come up with!
- Find a way to thank everyone who participates in your fundraiser.
Speaking of giving thanks, we want to thank you for considering hosting a fundraiser for the Xerces Society. And we hope you decide to host! We really couldn’t be successful in our work without all of the volunteers and donors that make it possible. Thanks for being on our team!